What Can We Say About the Future of Online Schools?
A few years ago, it was almost impossible to think that we would get to the point where we could sit in front of the computer and see our classes without having to go to school but, now, online education is a reality. We all know the importance of education, right? It is a subject linked to the economic, political and even behavioral development of a society. So, how can this area be involved with a niche as relevant as technology is today?
Virtual classes or classrooms are an example of this. The education sector has been progressively adapting to new trends in the technological field and, as it is something that will not stop evolving, many of us wonder… What can we say about the future of online education?
- Lifelong learning or continuing education: The first thing we have to remember is that, at present, there is a disagreement between formal education and the needs and challenges that society represents. That is to say, the educational system hardly manages to cover all the skills that a person needs to perform in daily life. When faced with constant changes, this fact becomes a gap that extends at unimaginable speeds, so profiles that have multiple skills and competencies are necessary. Therefore, the new type of education requires working and learning at the same time, which implies constant training.
- Schedules adapted to the student: we also have to keep in mind that full-time training alternatives are no longer an option, especially if they are face-to-face, since people lead a much busier lifestyle and have less time to do their chores. This has led more and more students to decide to enroll in an online school and organize their educational process according to their needs and requirements.
- Educational investment: Everything mentioned above has allowed the creation of a collaboration between providers of educational platforms, universities, companies and government institutions, among others, and this demonstrates the way in which online education will be treated in years coming. Everyone knows how education can influence society in general, including its politics and economy, so we will see how the authorities or governments will devote many of their resources to the growth of this sector.
- Transformational content: Here are two factors that play a very important role. The first one has to do with the content as such and the second one is related to the way it is taught. Platforms must have access to the best programs in their class and these must be created jointly by experts in the field. In summary, both the information that will be worked on and the means that will be used to disseminate it must be of quality and should aim to transform who receives it, that is to say, to help people adapt to the new world. It is also necessary to transform the existing content into a digital learning experience that will always be in the process of change.
- Modular education: Another patterns that are intended to be broken with the implementation of online education consist in linear teaching schemes. In this matter, modular education is an educational model that encourages the student to explore for himself in search of the discovery of reality, with which he must be much more connected. Furthermore, it promotes the active participation of the apprentice, motivating him to investigate, know and understand a certain subject in a self-taught and personalized way. In addition, it eliminates the authoritarian role of the teacher and places him or her as a guide in the process.
Education and technology have come together in recent years to bring us prosperity in many areas of our lives. This union will endure over time and will bring us much more benefits than we can imagine. What do you think about it?